Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Event 3

For event 3, I went to the California Academy of Sciences, located in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. In particular, I enjoyed a show in the Morrison Planetarium, one of the largest all-digital planetarium on Earth. The exhibit illustrates the "Third Culture," which bridges between space and art.

Picture from the inside of the planetarium
https://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/morrison-planetarium
Picture of me at the exit of the planetarium
In the lecture video, we watched the Powers of Ten™ (1977). However, with the power of six projectors in the planetarium,  I experienced the cosmos like never before. In the Morrison Planetarium, I watched the show Passport to the Universe. The show allowed me to enjoy an electrifying adventure of flying through Jupiter, Saturn, and the star-studded spiral arms of our Milky Way galaxy. Before featuring back to Earth, the show gave me a mind-bending experience of passing through the black hole. The visualization provided me the imagination that the black hole allows for instant transmission, transporting us to a different part of the galaxy.
The trailer of the show from the website 

After going to this event, I appreciate art even more because it allowed me to experience the view of an astronaut or scientists who can view the space from their telescopes. I learned about the incredible objects that constitute our Universe, from our Solar System to the Virgo Supercluster, with stunning visualization of the Orion Nebula derived from recent observations by the Hubble Space Telescope.

A picture I took at the Planetarium

A picture I took at the Planetarium
I would recommend this event because it is exciting to get an astronaut' s-eye view of beautiful nebulae, stars, mysterious moons, and the Earth, and to experience passing through a black hole. It would benefit my classmate because it is a place that combines art and scientific accuracy. According to the description, the show is one of the most accurate digital Universes ever created, from faraway galaxies to the workings of our planet. At the same time, there are also rainforest, aquarium, and many to explore in the California Academy of Sciences.

Picture I took
It is a lunar crust collected between the sea of Tranquility and the Sea of Serenity during the last human mission to the Moon in 1972 by NASA's Apollo.
Tickets of admission and the show

Me with the lunar crust




References:

“Passport to the Universe.” California Academy of Sciences, www.calacademy.org/exhibits/passport-to-the-universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Event 4

For event 4, I went to the Lawrence Hall of Science, l ocated in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus, with a spectacular 180-degree view...